Monday 12 January 2015

Windows OEM vs Retail Versions

Trolls, being trolls aren't very bright. I understand my personal troll is saying I'm stupid because he believes there is no difference between OEM and Retail versions of windows.


There are 3 major differences between these 2 items. The physical DVD disks themselves contain exactly the same content.

1. OEM copies of Windows come in either 32, or 64 bit flavors. You must decide which version you want, and make sure you purchase that copy. With a retail copy, you get both 32 and 64 bit Windows DVD’s in the same box.

2. OEM copies cannot be transferred from one PC to another. Once you install an OEM copy of Windows on a PC it must remain with that PC forever, unless upgraded to a newer version of Windows in the future. Retail versions can be moved from PC to PC, but your retail copy of Windows cannot be installed on more than one PC at any given time.

3. OEM copies do not come with any support from Microsoft. If you need to call Microsoft for support with Windows, you must pay a fee to do so. Retail copies come with a phone support incident included in the price.

Added 13 Jan 2015

Ironically enough now the troll says I don't know MS changed the licensing agreement terms for personal use in 8.0 and that proves I'm stupid. The fact is I did know but it's clearly obvious he doesn't know it reverted back to the old way with 8.1

http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/windows-licensing-for-personal-use.aspx#fbid=pjldcM9iDiZ

http://www.howtogeek.com/197232/microsoft-is-misleading-consumers-with-windows-8.1-system-builder-licensing/

Just like I said in the first place, trolls aren't very bright.

2 comments:

  1. What if I build computers for resale on demand (only clients would be friends, family and myself)?
    To be fair I was totally unaware of the changes you mentioned in your edit.. For me the only relevant difference between OEM and retail was point 2. (point 3 is irrelevant, I don't know of anyone who ever even attempted to get support. Also, you should get support from the seller that's with whom you have made a sales agreement).

    ReplyDelete
  2. technically, according to MS you are not allowed to use it for yourself (personal use) but that sounds like a grey area to me. I doubt they could do a thing about it legally as long as you claim you as a business person (or your company if you're incorporated) sold it to yourself the consumer.

    ReplyDelete